Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

There's a First Time for Everything...

...at least that's what they say and, well, they are right! After putting new shelves in the coat closet, I was itching to do something else around the house. It didn't take long for me to know what project would be next.

Refinishing the cabinets in our master bathroom.

Why? I've wanted to do this for a few years and I finally had built up the courage to go for it.

Time to say good-bye to honey oak from 1998
The removed TP holder was the same color,  basic wood model. 
The red in the grain is the only evidence of Biggs painting the entire sink and counter with 7 bottles of nail polish when she was 3. Bittersweet to see this go. ;) 

With a list of supplies in hand, I was off to make this dream a reality.
The main supplies I used. 
What I didn't anticipate was just how much sanding and sanding and sanding this would encompass. Just when I thought I was finished, I sanded some more.

The first coat of ebony stain gave results I didn't anticipate.

Don't mind the stuff still in the cabinet. I was being lazy and didn't empty it. :) 
My heart sank. My head swirled. What did I do?! I've ruined them! It's not solid, dark, deep and gorgeous like I envisioned! How am I going to tell Hubbs that I completely ruined perfectly good cabinets for no reason other than I wanted to see what it would look like and I was itching for change?

Then, I calmed myself down and really looked at what was going on.


That's actually quite nice! Hubbs came in to see the progress and asked if I like the "charred" wood look. Yeah, I actually think I do. Being the wonderful, supportive guy he is, he said he was interested in how it would look in the end and asked what I thought of it. I had to be honest. I wasn't loving it but wasn't hating it either. I'd know better later.

On I went. I did a total of 3 coats of ebony stain and 2 coat of polyurethane. I love the final results...including the charred wood look. Charred wood has a different meaning to me now and I can definitely find beauty in it.

Lovely.

Depth and dimension.

New TP holder!? Finally! 

It coordinates with the flush handle we put on months ago. Details I tell ya!

I really do love this look!
 The side of the cabinet is Hubbs' favorite part. He really likes the contrast of the light and dark colors in the wood.
Do you see it? 

New brushed nickel hinges make this transformation complete. 

It's done!

The wood grain shows through beautifully. 

Another perspective

Inside of the doors. 

This project took me about 4 days to complete. It might be that I wouldn't start on it until about 4 pm and each coat needed 4-6 hours to dry plus sanding in between. Or, it might be that this type of project truly takes days to complete and I should learn to be patient. You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment