Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cabinet Finish Facelift


13 years of daily use have taken a toll on our cabinetry! They are an eye sore and not exactly the look I am going for in my home. Eventually, we want to remodel both bathrooms but until then, I had to come up with another option. Every time I look at the cabinets I swear I hear them crying,  "Why don't you love us anymore?" I couldn't stand looking at them in their sad, sad state. Being a teacher, I often time projects to align with breaks from school. Over Thanksgiving break, while my mom and I were shopping one day, we came across a product that turned out to be the saving grace for these cabinets. Howard Restor-A-Finish in Golden Oak and Feed-N-Wax. For about $15, my cabinets went from "blah" to "AHH!"

Now that winter break is here, it was time to implement (the hardest part remember?) I was able to Restor the finish on all the cabinets in our house in about an hour! First, I cleaned the cabinets. Then, I picked a starting place for each pass. Since the Restor-A-Finish has to rest for about 30 minutes before wiping off the excess and waxing, I knew it would be ready about the time I was done putting it on all the cabinets. This is definitely a time saving tip! The kitchen has the most cabinets so I decided to start there. My daughters' bathroom was next and the master bathroom last. I was impressed with how great the cabinets looked with the initial swipe of the cloth.  


Look at the door on the right compared to the rest of the cabinet! It's looking great with very little effort! That's my kind of DIY. 


After all the cabinets had been given a coat of Restor-A-Finish, I went over them with a clean cloth to wipe off any extra. Right after that, I grabbed a clean cloth and began applying the Feed-N-Wax. I am pleased to say that the Feed-N-Wax has a much better odor than the Restor-A-Finish. We opened our sliding glass door and ran the fans in the bathroom and the odors cleared out quickly. Applying the Feed-N-Wax was very easy! It comes in a squeeze bottle. Squeeze it on a clean cloth, rub on, let rest 20 minutes, wipe off excess and "voila!" Freshly restored cabinetry! 


 

The cabinets no longer cry at me to help them. They are showing their shiny side in thanks for giving them a little TLC.

5 comments:

  1. Where can I find the Restor-A-Finish and the Feed-N-Wax? I don't remember seeing them at Lowe's, and my cabinets could use this too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it at Home Depot but saw it just the other day at Fred Meyer too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You do it all! You are so brave in all your projects. I generally don't do anything because I'm worried about messing something up. Thanks for the product tip. I think I see this in my near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words Mrs. Aldred. It is fun to see what I can do with a little imagination and follow through. :)

    ReplyDelete