Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Survival Kit 101

We've all had those times in our life when we come to realize the power and truth in the statement, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Most of us learn from these experiences and never want to repeat them, then, there are gluttons for punishment, like myself, who go back time and time again to see if it is true EVERY time. ;) My very dear Friend has just started nursing school and I wanted to do a little something to keep her spirits up as she learns just how strong she is.

When I started the Teaching Program, I was given a "Survival Kit." I knew this was exactly the type of thing I wanted to create for my Friend. So, I set off to brainstorm and get my bearings for the project. I don't know about you, but I do about 98% of project planning in my head, which makes putting together the project a "love/hate" type of experience. I knew I wanted to house the Survival Kit in a paper container that looked like a retro medical bag. First goal, figure out how to create a 3D medical bag out of paper. I scoured all my Cricut cartridges and found a 2D image but nothing 3D. I was beginning to regret not purchasing the Tags, Bags, and Boxes cartridge when I had the chance but knew that line of thinking would only derail my project. One night, the Fam and I went to the store and I decided I would just take a look at the craft supplies. Low and behold, they had the Cricut Sweet Tooth Boxes cartridge. I looked at the images and found this beauty.

Toolbox aka future medical bag
I swooped up the cartridge and rushed home to make a prototype. Bad pic, mediocre prototype at best but now I knew where I was going. I made the bag out of cardstock but it was still a bit too weak...when I put items in the bag, the bottom gave way. It's kind of boring just white with the traditional red so I knew I'd need to spruce it up.

If you use a Cricut machine, I highly recommend getting Cricut Design Studio Software. It is a lifesaver to me. I bought the software right after Hubbs gave me an Expression and it made using my machine so much simpler. On the screen, I am able to layout all the images I want to cut and can save entire projects for later. Take a look:
I love being able to see what will cut before hitting the button.
Just what I pictured! I used the "weld" function to create words instead of individual letters.

Design Studio lets you add pages to your project, allowing you to put all the cuts in one file. Love, love, love this feature! Here are the final cuts. 




Now, assembly! First, I put the decorative nurse patterned paper on the cardstock cut that will be the top of the bag and then finished putting the top together. 


Covered wagon? No, it's a lid!

Handle and "lock" attached.


Assembly is quite simple. There are tabs, scores, small holes, etc to help make this process as painless as possible. By making a prototype, I was able to figure out which order was best for putting the pieces together. So far, it's turning out great. Next, I put together the bottom half, the "box" and attached the lid. 



Lid is attached.

Back
Once the box/bag was assembled, it was time to adhere the words.

Loving it!

Still needs to be reinforced.
 I dug through my cardstock stash and found a great, complimenting color, sturdy cardstock. When I made these cuts, I decreased the size by 1/8" to ensure it would fit inside the existing box bottom.

Ready to reinforce.

Perfect fit!
With the box ready, it's time to fill it up! 






Much more sturdy and ready for goodies.
 My girls and I had a great time coming up with things to fill this kit with. The box if full of little things that I hope will bring a smile to Friend's face...if not, she can use the Smile-on-a-Stick. :) We included a letter describing the reasoning behind all of our choices.
Hmmm....what all is in there?

So many little goodies...
I'm sure you're wondering what exactly is in there and why. Here's what I wrote to Friend: 



Nursing School Survival Kit

I put together a little something to help you make it through the next few years. Allow me to explain

·      Lifesavers, use them as a life preserver when you feel like you're going down but also remember, they are a symbol for what you will do time and time again.
·      The paperclip is to help you keep things together when it feels like they're going out of control.
·      This piece of string is for tying a knot in the end and hanging on when you're at the end of your rope.
·      The Band Aid protects those little hurts along the way, plus, sometimes, they just make you feel better.
·      A Tootsie Pop, to remind that you’ll lick your problems and enjoy the reward at the end.
·      A button- Just a friendly reminder to button up and listen, especially to upset family members, they just want to be heard.
·      Tissues-To dry your tears of joy, sorrow, and frustration
·      Gum- remember, just stick to it!
·      A license to ask a lot of questionsthis is all for you, ask away Friend!
·      Hole punch—for when you want to PUNCH something!!!
·      Smile-on-a-stick—for those times when it’s the one you can put on.

I love you Friend and know you will be phenomenally successful in your endeavors; may you never lose sight of your goals. I’ll see you at the finish line!     ~Jeanette

We gave her the Survival Kit last night and she loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment